Ugab Rock Finger
95 km West of Outjo
Travelling westwards en route to Khorixas, is the Ugab Vingerklip (finger of rock) situated amongst the rugged Ugab Terraces. If you stay on the tarred road you will miss this. About 35 m high, this distinctive monolith has been moulded into its curious shape by erosion.
The high land has been cut down by the Ugab River, until the Canyons became only some stone pillars, comparable with the Monument Valley in America. The best known is the Vingerklip. Vinger=Finger, because it is so thin and high.
The hills of the Ugab Terrace, near the town, deserve special mention for their unusual shapes. A particularly interesting section can be found on the Setenghi property, where some of the formations have been likened to castles from the middle ages. These are made of conglomerate, and stand on the edge of a plateau that stretches for more than 80km and eventually forms the northern boundary of the Ugab River Valley.
140km West of Outjo (Source www.bildungsservice.at, www.namibian.org)
The turn off to the site of Petrified Forest is signposted (the sign is in the Afrikaans language and read "Versteende Woud") 42 kilometers west from Khorixas on the C39 road. The site was declared a national monument in 1950. It is now strictly prohibited to remove or damage even small pieces of petrified wood after it suffered damaging attacks of souvenir hunters.
The trees are about 250 million years old and were deposited in the area by the flood which came down from areas further north, suggested by the fact that trunks do not have any branches or roots.
The trunks were deposited in silica rich environment and were excluded from contact with oxygen which prevented decay. During the course of time molecules of silica penetrated the wood and replaced wood molecules. At present around 50 trunks can be seen on the site with the longest being more that 30 meters long.
The area is very rich in young Welwitchia trees.
VodaNak Project: 2010
The Monument, erected in 1933, commemorates the 12 soldiers that lost their lives on 18th December 1914, under Major Franke at Fort Naulila. Major Franke was sent to avenge the murder of Dr Schultze-Jena, District Officer for Outjo.
Franke Haus Museum
The Outjo museum is housed in the Franke Haus which was built in 1899 as the residence for the towns commanding officer. The museum houses a number of interesting articles from the area including local gemstones, a variety of antique furniture and a display about the campaign of Major Viktor Franke into Ovamboland
The Franke Haus Museum is in Meester ln. It can easily be found by going North into Tuin str. at the Municipal offices. It can be seen where Tuin str. runs into Kudu Street.
Etosha National Park
Etosha Game park, covering an area of 22 270 square km, was declared a National Park in 1907. Etosha, means "Great White Place", is dominated by a salt pan. The Etosha Pan covers 25% of the National Park and is at places 130 km long and as wide as 50 km. The pan used to be a lake fed by the Kunene River and a change in the course of the river resulted dry pan which fills only during heavy rains and hold water for short periods. Water in the Etosha Pan attracts flocks of breading flamingos believed to be from Walvisbay.
Game viewing in the Etosha National Park is an exceptional experience and visitors to Etosha are usually entertained by numerous buck species, elephant, giraffe, rhino and lions and less frequently, leopard and cheetah. It also offers awesome opportunities to view nocturnal game from the water holes next to all the camps. It it is home to 114 mammal species, 340 bird species, 110 reptile species, 16 amphibian species and one species of fish, believe it or not.
Visitors to Etosha can stay inside the park at any of the three traditional rest camps (Namutoni, Halali or Okaukuejo). They all has basic facilities such as a variety of accommodation options, camping, restaurant, a shop, fuel and a swimming pool. Alternatively one can stay inside the park at Onkoshi Camp, a brand new lodge. This is the first lodge development inside the park in several decades and offer an exclusive, luxury environmental friendly experience on the brink of the Etosha Pan. The best time for game viewing is during the dry and cooler months in Namibia, May to September.
One of the most spectacular trees in the park is the African moringa, (Moringa ovalifolia) or ghost tree that normally occur on hillsides in a variety of weird shapes, they are often mistaken for baobabs, but are not related to them.. There is a specially fenced off area, some 30km west of Okaukuejo, to help preserve this unique and to some, grotesquely shaped trees, known as the haunted forest .
Visitors should note that the park is only open from sunrise to sunset.
Photos: Wikipedia entries.
The main entrance to the park is called the "Andersson Gate" situated near Okaukuejo in the south. It can be reached via the C38, 90km from Outjo. The eastern entrance is called the "Von Lindequist Gate", near Namutoni and the "Nehale lya Mpingana Gate" gate, (King Nehale Gate) in the north-east.
The dominant vegetation in Etosha is Mopane (Colophospermum mopane) The western areas of the park support mainly mopane scrub, whereas there are extensive woodlands of tall trees in the southern parts of the camp.
The Naulila monument can be found in Stasie rd. between Nampost and Telecom Namibia's offices in the centre of the Town.
The Windmill Tower, was constructed in 1900 to provide fresh water for German soldiers, their horses and the hospital. The windmill was build over a well in the dry riverbed and officially taken into use on 1 March 1901.
The 9.4-m-high base, that can be seen today, was built from stone and clay and a wooden windmill was mounted on the top of the tower. The stone tower was declared a national monument in 1957.
The water tower can be seen best from van Riebeeck lane or President Ave's.
Photo: Willie Olivier
Photo: Willie Olivier / www.tournamibia.net
Dr. Schultze-Jena together with German soldiers and officials were massacred on the 19th October 1914 by the Portuguese near Fort Naulila on the Kunene River in Angola. Dr. Schultze-Jena and his expedition was send in an attempt to set up non-aggression treaties and negotiate food supply chains, while at war with Union Troops from, the ZAR.